This just recently happened to me.
這是我最近遇到的事情。

A bit of backstory that's important:
先透露一點重要的故事背景

my family has always been poor,
我們家一直很窮

but we are a very close knit family,
但我們一直團結一心

who loves our animals above any possessions.
我們愛自己的寵物,勝過家里任何其他東西

Now this January,
這個一月

things went south for our family,
我們家的情況越發糟糕了

taking us from just poor, to homeless and having lost everything
讓我們從窮困,變成了無家可歸,一無所有

everything except for our animals.
一無所有,除了我們的寵物

It was a cold winter and we had no choice but to move south,
那是一個寒冷的冬天,我們別無選擇,只能向南方遷移,

and try and make things work
希望一切都能好起來

By some miracle, my grandma and I were able to get a place,
我和祖母最終找到了一個落腳之地,這真是一個奇跡

and have my two beautiful German Shepherd there with us.
我那兩只美麗的德國牧羊犬也和我們在一起

Unfortunately, about a week into living there,
不幸的是,我們在新家住了一個星期左右的時候

all funds were gone,
錢都花光了

and my dog food was running out.
家里的狗糧也快吃完了

We called all over town, trying to find someone.
我們給鎮上每一戶人家去電話,希望有人能幫助我們。

Anyone!
任何人!

Nobody would even consider doing a charge account to get the dogs food,
可是,沒有人愿意賒賬給我們,讓我們去買狗糧

and nobody were willing to help with pets.
也沒有人愿意幫助我們照顧

I started feeding my dogs the very little human food I had in the house because they were out!
我開始用人類的食物給狗狗們喂食,盡管家里給人吃的食物也非常少

I was so scared that they weren't getting enough nutrition .
我非常擔心它們得不到足夠偶讀營養。

Even worse...
更糟糕的是,

my female was pregnant and needed extra nutrition.
家里的母狗狗懷孕了,需要額外補充營養

I can't even begin to tell you the fear and devastation I felt.
我感到難以形容的恐懼和壓抑。

I was having nightmares about losing her,
我晚上做噩夢,夢到失去了它

or her getting super sick,
夢到它的身體變得極其衰弱

and the male eventually following in her footsteps.
它的伴侶也隨它而去

My dogs are everything to me.
我的狗狗是我生活的全部

Then...a miracle came finally.
終于,一個奇跡降臨了

We called one last place in town,
我們決定最后打電話給一戶鎮上的人

a small chain farm equipment and animal supply store.
那是一家農具和動物用品連鎖店

There, a kind lady answered the phone.
店里一位好心的女人接了電話

She checked if she could do a charge..
她說她要去確認一下,店里是否允許賒賬

and she couldn't.
隨后告訴我們,不能賒賬。

Then she checked on dog food prices, and told us what they were.
接著她幫我們查了一下店里狗糧的價格,隨后告訴了我們。

Then, this sweet girl, around the same age that I am,
接著,這個好心的女孩——她與我年齡相仿

so just barely an adult,
差不多剛成年——

told me she had extra money,
告訴我,她有些存款

and she would buy the dog food for me.
愿意為我購買一些狗糧

She didn't even ask to be paid back
她甚至沒有要求我們還錢

(though of course I am, because she deserves that and more!).
(當然,我要把錢還給她,這是她應得的,她值得得到更多!

When I heard that, I started crying.
當我看到女孩的話時,我哭了起來。

My fears were allayed, my dogs would be fed properly,
我的恐懼終于消減了,狗狗們得到了合理的喂養

All because this young woman paid for it out of her own pocket.
這全都要感謝那個自己掏腰包買下狗糧的年輕女孩

She doesn't know me, I could have been anybody.
她甚至都不認識我,我想她會這樣幫助任何人

But she said
她卻不以此自居,只是說

"I just feel so bad for your dogs.
我只是為你的狗狗們感到擔心

I know what its like,
我知道你此刻的感受

especially with just having moved.
特別是剛搬完家,忙亂又陌生

I knew since I had a bit of extra money, I just had to do something."
正好我還有點零花錢,我知道,我必須為你做點什么。

This young woman, whose name I don't even know, will always be my heroin, and the heroin to my dogs as well.
這個年輕女孩,這個我連名字都不知道的女孩,會是我心中永遠的英雄,也是我的兩只狗狗眼中的英雄

I still tear up when I think about it,
直到現在,想到這件事我仍會熱淚盈眶

 especially today as I look at the newborn pups ,
特別是現在,我看著新生的小狗崽們

and realize, I wouldn't have them, nor my adult dogs anymore, if not for her.
并且意識到,如果不是因為她,它們不會來到我的身邊,而我那兩只成年狗狗,也可能已經離我而去

 

翻譯:小木